News from Adi

This morning Tamsin had to go to the hospital for ward rounds. I went with her to see a patient. The wife of my friend and worker (and chief of Adi) Nghota.




Anguse was sick with hepatitis with complications. Big complications this morning. The women who took care of her during the night told me that she had been vomiting blood the whole night, a lot. Her conjunctiva were very pale. I went to get Tamsin and the other doctor, Joseph, she was doing rounds with and the decision was made to get her into intensive care. Just there she arrested and died. It wasn’t a fun sight to observe as she was bleeding from mounth and nose. Nghota is taking it hard. In a little over a month ago he lost his grandfather Yosse and now his wife. And even I cried.

Nghota with his grandfather and his mother

Nghota with his grandfather and his mother

We stayed at the hospital and then went to their house for the start of the service in the car that transported the body. We went home for lunch and then came back. Just in time for the end of the service. Then the body was placed in a van to be taken to the village where the funeral will be held tomorrow.

Better days. Anguse was present when Caroline had her goodbye to Adi. Anguse is standing at the very left.

Better days. Anguse was present when Caroline had her goodbye to Adi. Anguse is standing at the very left (blue scarf and yellow dress).

Anguse was one of the Women of the Good News. She knew God as her Savior and Lord. She was a lovely lady and I am sorry that I didn’t know her better. The testimony of the assistant pastor was that when he visited her at the hospital yesterday evening, she prayed to be forgiven for all the sins she did without knowing so to be prepared to enter into the presence of the Lord. She entered there this morning. Will we? Will you?

Life here comes to a stand still when someone dies. Work is forgotten and people come in great number to the home of the deceased and the family. Mourning happens together. People don’t feel ashamed to show their emotions. Not even Nghota. When I embraced him and one of his sons just before the car with the body and a lot of people left for the village, he asked me to pray. With tears in ours eyes we just stood there surrounded by others and I prayed for God’s presence with them and the other family members, I prayed that his Name would be glorified and honored in all.

Tomorrow Tamsin and I will go to the funeral. And then next week will be busy with five days of activities for World AIDS Day, that really only falls on December first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *